aboutfoodfashionexercisecontact

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Keeping Busy | Freezer Meals

Last weekend into the beginning of this week I was stuck inside with no where to go. Winter Storm Jonas left the Triangle with inches of ice and very little snow. Playing it safe, Joe and I hunkered down for a few days at the house. We had plenty of food and TV to watch to keep us entertained for a day or two. I have never been the sit at home type for long and found myself getting restless on Saturday. I decided it was the perfect time to cook up some freezer meals in preparation for baby. I already had a Pinterest board dedicated to a few delicious recipes and decided it was time give it a try.

I did a mix of casseroles and crockpot meals. I considered doubling the ingredients to make extra batches but decided to cut each recipe in half instead. With just the two of us, we never eat a full casserole. I always end up packing it for lunch or freezing it.

The chicken and rice is a dish I made months ago and was a big hit with Joe. I substituted chicken breasts for thighs to make it a bit healthier. It makes a ton of rice so it is perfect for cooking up and freezing for later. The flavors really hold their own when frozen. 

Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast
This one was so easy and all I needed to buy was the roast. I liked that the recipe included ingredients already in my pantry. I froze the meat and potatoes with the glaze in a gallon size bag. I will add the beef stock in when it goes in the slow cooker.

This recipe is a homemade favorite for me. The directions are easy and simple to follow. I love it served with a bowl of soup and cornbread on cold nights. 

I had never heard of freezer mashed potatoes until I stumbled upon some a Trader Joe's last year. I hate boxed potatoes and was curious about being able to enjoy instant mashed potatoes without making a huge batch. It is so simple, I can't believe that I waited this long to try it myself. After cooking the potatoes, I let them cool and then froze individual scoops on a baking sheet overnight. Then I transferred them to a gallon size freezer bag the next day. You can thaw overnight or heat directly in the oven or microwave. 


After all that cooking, I have a freezer full of un-processed ready to eat foods. I hope to cook a few more meals before baby arrives. Have you ever made freezer meals before? I would love to hear your favorite recipes!

Signature
Like what you're reading?
Follow Sweet Carolina Belle on BloglovinInstagram, Twitter, & Facebook!

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of freezer meals but have never actually made meals to freeze. It's definitely genius tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So smart- thank you for the idea! I'm on to stalk pinterest....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Mama! I just pinned that broccoli chicken casserole. I love freezer meals and they have really helped me in the first few weeks solo with a new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love freezer meals and think it's the perfect thing (and a must do) for anyone before baby! I always say I'm going to make a ton when that time comes for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love freezer meals! We make them all the time & they make life so much easier :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I always love seeing what my readers have to say! Please make sure your email address is set up with your profile so that I am able to respond to you. If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at sweetcarolinabelle@gmail.com.